Listed below are the top five reasons given by surveyed managers, for firing employees because of bad office manners.
1. Bad language (38.4%)
2. Excessive workplace gossip (36.5%)
3. Drinking on the job (35.2%)
4. Leaving without telling anyone (33.6%)
5. Too many personal calls (28%)
As an aside, managers likely have the right to fire employees for something as simple as breach of office etiquette, because employment is “at will” in the U.S.
Of the employees surveyed, 81.2% indicated that they found cursing in the office to be offensive. But their number one pet peeve among bad office manners, is when coworkers steal their food from company refrigerators.
Listed below are the five worst breaches of office etiquette, according to surveyed employees.
1. Eating someone else’s food from the fridge (97.8%)
2. Bad hygiene (95.6%)
3. Bad habits (88.2%)
4. Drinking on the job (85.7%)
5. Wastefulness with paper (82%)
For a few more details, see the press release about the office etiquette survey.